The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is the UK’s largest government department and is responsible for welfare, pensions and child maintenance policy. It administers the State Pension and a range of working age, disability and ill health benefits, serving around 20 million customers.
DWP is responsible for
- understanding and dealing with the causes of poverty rather than its symptoms-- encouraging people to work and making work pay
- encouraging disabled people and those with ill health to work and be independent
- providing a decent income for people of pension age and promoting saving for retirement
- providing value for money and reducing levels of fraud and error
- reducing work-related death and serious injury in workplaces through the Health and Safety Executive
DWP is a fast paced organisation which puts leadership at the centre of its transformation journey. The majority of DWP colleagues are part of the Operational Delivery Profession (ODP) – providing customer service to DWP’s 20 million customers across the UK. ODP is a thriving, inclusive professional community that supports colleagues and encourages them to learn, develop, grow and progress in their career to reach their full potential.